Here at Yeti Society we believe everyone deserves their time in the spotlight! As such, we wanted to highlight our awesome intern, Margaret Song – or as everyone calls her, Garet! We had a chance to sit down with Garet last week to learn some insight into who she is and her background. What started out as an simple interview, turned into a cool one-on-one conversation because there was so much great material to cover. Below are just some highlights from our chat…
I’m Margaret but everyone calls me Garet! I’m a graphic designer with a love for typography and UI design. I moved back to Southern California after a few years of studying and working in New York City. I spend my time trying to learn motion design programs, watching Bob Ross paint happy little trees on Netflix, managing my cat Po Skins’ diet, and reading abnormal psychology books. – Margaret Song
- Full Name: Margaret (Garet) Song
- Job Title: Creative Intern
- Practice: Yeti Society!
- When did you join Yeti Society? June 2016
- Hometown: Cerritos, CA
- Alma Mater: UCSD
- What was your major? I also went Shillignton School (it is a design school J) for graphic design.
- How would you explain your role here at Yeti Society to a stranger? It is a little bit of everything! Besides making things look good, I also try to make sense of why I do certain tasks. I am definitely applying a lot of the things that I learned in design school!
- What does a typical work day look like for you? Typically, I wake up and drink a smoothie (my favorite is blueberry)! After the smoothie, I google news while drinking coffee. Upon arrival to work, the whole creative and marketing team get together to outline what we worked on the previous day and discuss what is on tap for today. We work to create deadlines for each day. Then I am off to work on my projects! Throughout the day, I will bug the SR designers for critique. I also try to dedicate at least 15 minutes per day to play with the dogs we have running around the office.
- What aspects of your job do you enjoy the most? The first one is that I am able to be creative every day. There is something really fulfilling about designing something that a client is going to use for digital and/or marketing campaigns. The team is really great here and I get to learn from them every day. They are super talented and great at teaching.
- What is the most valuable lesson you have learned so far while working at The Yeti Society? Be assertive when it comes down to making design decisions. Clients will ask for a lot of things, but it is important to leverage your knowledge to help them to the fullest potential. Communication also comes into play because it is important that you are conveying your message to clients in the best possible way.
- What makes a great Yeti employee? Doing the unsaid thing. You should put pressure on yourself to do more than you are asked to do.
- What has been your favorite experience at Yeti? My favorite is definitely my 1 on 1s with my mentor, Christian. It helps having someone who cares about my growth. I try to bug him as much as I can to get feedback, and he is totally receptive to it.
- What are some of your hobbies/interests outside of work? I like to paint. Right now I am trying to keep my basil plant alive. I also try to make my cat exercise. Bob Ross videos on Netflix. I am becoming a master at painting happy little trees.
- What is your favorite activity to do in Orange County? There is an awesome market in the District of Tustin that has everything! I love the handmade jewelry sold there and I always buy their candles.
- Food that you can’t live without? Umm steak! Definitely steak! As long as it is medium rare plus J
- If you were to plan your dream vacation, where would you be going? It would probably be Hapuna beach in Hawaii. It is not one of tourist parts of Hawaii and is super calm.
- Favorite Game (board or video )? It is a game I haven’t played yet, but I just know I will love it! It is called Verne: The Himalayas. You are a 500-foot-tall Yeti (perfect for our company) and he has a best friend that is a Yak.
What’s really awesome about interviewing Garet, is that she is very down to Earth and real. This sincerity and genuine humility is totally a part of her personality. Not only is she calm and collected, but she is seriously talented. On a professional level, Garet’s skills shine in both Indesign and Photoshop. We foresee a great future in Garet’s career and are happy she is a part of our Yeti Society family! PS: Everyone in the office loves her dog, Oakie (featured above).Do you share some similar interests as Garet, leave her a comment below! Or reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org